Friday, March 9, 2012

An Almost Super Interview with Marion Jensen

Well, here I go again. Another mix of author, answer-girl, and interview. But the good news is my attitude. After doing a few of these now, I realize I don't hate talking to writers. Probably because they aren't normal human beings. 

Today's guest is author Marion Jensen, the imagination behind Almost Super. So, Mr. Jensen, give us the teaser.


MJ:
A teaser . . . it's like Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings meets the Bible . . . what other bestsellers am I leaving out? Ha ha, only teasing. Get it? Teasing? Teaser? I crack myself up.


StBT:
The main character actually or metaphorically dies and comes back to life? That's both morbid and fantastic!


MJ:
Kidding aside, Almost Super is about two brothers who are born into a Superhero family. They have it all. Cool gadgets. Action and adventure at every turn. And the chance to be heroes by saving the day. But on the day they are supposed to receive their powers, something terrible happens. They receive worthless powers, and they are left with the horrible fact that they are normal in a family of heroes. How the brothers react makes up the rest of the story. The tagline in Publishers Weekly called it Savvy meets The Incredibles.


StBT:
I like that conflict. I like the Incredibles. I like, have to look up Savvy.

What's the deal with humans and superheroes? Is it a desire to be better? To have life easy and carefree? Take no offense, but I wonder if it's compensation for your terrible evolutionary outcome. No claws, fangs, prehensile tail, or wings. No shell!

But normal protagonists in a superhero setting? That gets me interested. If it weren't for brains and opposable thumbs, humans would be long extinct. So how do the brothers compensate in their survival of the fittest?


MJ:
Well . . . no claws, fangs, or wings that you can see. I have to fit in, don't I?


StBT:
Good point. (backing away slowly)


MJ:
I had one editor tell me that I should have the kids save the day by using their worthless powers. But that actually goes against the message of the book. Without giving anything away, the boys' powers are just given to them. They don't have to do earn them. Granted, they're worthless powers, but I didn't want some easy-to-earn power that allowed the boys to save the day. In the end, what saves the day is boys who decide they aren't going to let the rest of the world peg them as worthless.

As far as finding use in their lame powers . . . there are no redeeming qualities to these powers. Really. They're completely worthless.


StBT:
A book with a moral? Implying one is in charge of one's situation by the decisions made? What are you trying to do, make kids feel guilty about laziness and irresponsibility? That's harsh.

You said the boys save the day.


MJ:
Well, they save the day, but I've said nothing about whether or not they save the week. Or the month. And as far as the fortnight goes . . . it's anybody's guess.


StBT:
That means no clues about a Harry-Potter-time-skip-to-the-train-station scene? You're holding the cards pretty close, Mr. Jensen.

What sparked the first idea for the book? Then, as you wrote, what influences were most helpful in rounding out your prehensile tale?


MJ:
You know, I honestly can't say what sparked the idea for the book. I was in bed one night and I had the idea of two brothers who had rotten superpowers. In just a few hours I had the story, the characters, the arcs, the idea for powers . . . it all just seemed to flow into me. It was a very fun experience. Of course, then it took me four years to write and polish the thing. I spent a lot of time learning the craft of writing.

As far as influences, I love a good parody. My favorite comic book hero is The Tick. The Tick universe pretty much makes fun of, in a loving way, the world of superheroes. The Incredibles did this to some extent. I think my book does this as well. It's not your normal superhero story. It pokes fun of these heroes, makes them not quite as heroic, but in the end you still can't help but love them.


StBT:
Bed and relaxing. See? Mammals think of us ectotherms and pondering types like Mr. Jensen as a bunch of lazies, while they run around crazy, eating in cars and not sleeping enough. A parody begs to be written. Now, cats are an exception. They get it, their naps in sunshine and all. Speaking of which, any spunky sidekick almost super-pets? I promise I won't take offense if none are reptiles.


MJ:
Nope, sorry. No sidekicks, reptilian or otherwise. You see, the problem with sidekicks is that they're always popping up behind you in the publicity photos. And you can't have that.


StBT:
No. Not at all. DWD keeps sneaking posts into this blog. Drives me crazy.

I'm sure everyone here wants to know when they can storm the stores for it. And your fellow writers want to know your publisher and agent. But I want to know what the cover looks like.


MJ:
Certainly. My book will be published by HarperCollins. The tentative date is Fall of 2013. We're very early on in the process, so still a lot to do. Of course, it's never too early to go stand in line.


StBT:
Or hibernate in line. My door-buster endurance is legendary.


MJ:
My agent is the very wonderful Sara Crowe with Harvey Klinger. Sara is really great. I can't say enough about her.
As far as the cover . . . I'd kind of like to know what it looks like too. All in good time, I guess. All in good time.


StBT:
My curiosity prods me to ask – who's the audience you hope to entertain?


MJ:
That is a great question. C. S. Lewis once said, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."

I think a good story can mean different things to different people. Look at The Incredibles. It's probably my favorite Pixar movie. My kids love it because of the action, the characters, and the jokes. I love it because I can relate to the father and the fears he struggles with throughout the movie. If a story carries real emotion, then I think it can appeal to a broad audience.

I know it's a lofty goal, but I like to think that Almost Super isn't just for kids. I think it will be enjoyed by anybody who has had dreams of being somebody special.


StBT:
That would be me. Shelly the Grassland Ankylosaurus. But that dream was severed by a taxonomical split and then shattered by an asteroid. Stupid space gravel.

Well, Mr. Jensen, thanks for the preview of Almost Super. I look forward to it. In fact, I'm swiping DWD's credit card as soon as I hear whisperings of pre-orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment